Friday, August 01, 2008

Tortilla Pie

Tonight I tried a new recipe. It's actually on the cover of one of my cookbooks (well, a picture of the finished product is, anyway), and I've been wanting to try it. I decided this week was the week, and in fact, tonight was the night.

It's from the Southern Living at Home Easy Weeknight Favorites cookbook (a great cookbook!). The meal is called Tortilla Pie. I have to admit, I made several changes to it to suit our tastes... and suit our tastes it did!

Here you go!

Tortilla Pie

Prep: 11 minutes (!!)
Cook: 25 min.

1 (16-oz.) can refried beans (or black beans)
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
8 8-in. flour tortillas
1 cup chunky salsa
2 (4- or 6-oz.) cartons guacamole
1 (8-oz.) package shredded Mexican blend cheese
Garnishes: sour cream, lettuce, more salsa & guac

1. Combine first three ingredients (I combined black beans, 1 tsp. chili powder and I increased the cumin to 1 tsp. because I really like cumin)
2. Place 1 tortilla in the bottom of an 8-in. cake pan. Spread half the bean mixture on top. Place another tortilla on top of the beans. Spread 1/2 cup salsa (I didn't have any salsa and don't like chunks of tomato, so I did 1/2 can of refried beans then sprinkled chili powder and cumin on top). Top with another tortilla, and spread half of the guacamole, and top with another tortilla (I spread La Victoria taco sauce on this layer instead, as we don't care for guacamole). Next, sprinkle half the cheese, and top with a tortilla.
3. They tell you to repeat all the layers except the cheese. I just did one more layer for each type of bean.
*You can also put in a layer of meat, they suggest shredded chicken.
4. Cover (I forgot to do this, and it came out just fine) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cook 2-5 more minutes. Cut into wedges and serve (6 servings).

We used sour cream and shredded lettuce as our garnishes. Matt picked off the black beans, but he really liked it! He especially liked the tang of a little sour cream with each bite. I really liked it, and I loved how easy it was. :) Even without meat, we were both satisfied. :)

Happy tortilla-ing! :)

0 comments: