Thursday, August 23, 2007

Little Update

I'm here! I guess you can tell school has started. :) Sorry I've been missing so much. Today was the first day I've left before 5:00, and some days it's been more like 6 or later. Ugh. Just trying to get through tomorrow for some weekend relaxation.

I have a sweet group of 18 students. I add one to that group for reading instruction, and I go down to 9 (!!) for math. Well, that is I'll go down to 9 once the gifted teacher gets settled in a room. Right now I have hers and mine, because the room she WAS in is being transformed into a kindergarten (I think) classroom. We're adding at least one class at my school. Crazyness!

I really do like my little guys, but it IS also an adjustment from how my class was "humming along" at the end of last year. I have to keep reminding myself, "These guys JUST finished second grade.... it's only the FIRST week of school." It's NOT at ALL that they're "bad" in ANY shape, form, or fashion. Overall, I am delighted with them. It's just exhausting to be back at square one after having "trained" a class to a groove and rhythm that kept us clicking right along. We'll get there. We've also been out of routine as we've waited for various things (tech lab, resource--special area--classes, library, etc.) to start up for the year. Today was the first day we changed classes for reading and math and my first day with a resource (plan period). That might have something to do with me getting to leave almost an hour earlier than any other day this week! Reading is a big adjustment.... 9 kids last year, 19 this year. 14 in one group and 5 in the other. But we'll start centers next week. I just need to remember it'll take them some time. Math should be a DREAM though, once I'm down to my assigned 9 students. I can't WAIT to really dig in and do all kinds of extensions and stuff. NINE math students. Amazing!

I guess that's about all for now. Matt was so sweet and cooked dinner AND brought home a bouquet of flowers on my first day. They look and smell wonderful. I'll try to post a pic. I do think Samantha is still adjusting to me being gone all day, but she's getting the hang of it.

I hope you've had a good week! Sorry I've been so absent!

LOTS of love,
Becca :)

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

You'll get them into shape in no time! How wonderful that you have such a sweet class!

"Alice" said...

tell me about exhaustion!!! i hope this week is more restful and smooth.