Friday, March 09, 2007

Dig Dug has to Go Go

Yea for the weekend!

At times this week seemed to take awhile and at times it flew. On Wednesday, I thought for SURE the next day should have been Friday, but no such luck. :) But today really flew by, and I got good things accomplished and questions answered both at home and at school.

On Monday, our furniture was delivered, as you see below. :) I think we have a plan for arranging things this weekend, and it won't have to be as drastic as I first thought. :) We are hoping to pick up our mattress set this weekend, and the guest room is all ready--I just need to set up the rails for the bed. The den is coming along. I think we've decided on a configuration in there too, and I've been toying with ideas for the "splash of color" the room needs now that we painted over the wooden paneling. I am excited about it, and I think the color will really create the warmth we noticed lacking after the first paint job.

On Tuesday, we had a pretty normal day. It was the day before our last FCAT test, so there were final preparations, of course.

Then Wednesday was the actual, final FCAT test! Woo hoo! It was the math norm-referenced test, and the kids were excited to be done. :) I was too!!! I think just the anticipation and anxiety are exhausting. All the teachers talk about how TIRED we are FCAT week, but we don't even have to take the test! It was an early release day, and I got a lot done in the classroom.

-side note- Last weekend I got a betta fish for my class. I had some extra money to use for my classroom, and I got permission to use part of it on fish stuff, as we are beginning our life science unit. I am hoping this weekend to get a few live plants for the room too. The kids love the fish. They named him (by voting) "Aqua the Fish" (he's dark blue and burgundy). He seems to like his little 3 gallon aquarium. I got a little bridge and 2 artificial plants for it too. They cheered the first time he went under the bridge and the first time he swam "across" the bridge. They're so cute! :)

Thursday... that was yesterday! I got a new student in my class--a really sweet little boy (the other, outnumbered boys appreciate more on "their" side, I'm sure). Matt got home around 7:30, and we had a church meeting at 8:00--eek! But we made it, and it was about an hour long. We stopped at Moe's on the way home (Welcome to Moe's!!) to use a gift card for dinner. It was about 10 when we got home. I was so tired! Whew!

And today... FRIDAY! My class finished reading Mr. Popper's Penguins and we watched a short illustrated video of the story to celebrate the end of FCAT. I also had lunch bunch in the room to celebrate the end of FCAT. The kids are working on powerpoints--it's so cool to see them researching, working together, and creating products they are excited about. They should be done next week and ready to present them! I'm excited! They also took a reading unit test. I was bummed, because several of them confused the types of sentences (interrogative, declarative, imperative, and exclamatory) even though we've drilled them for WEEKS! We'll just keep going over it until it clicks! :)

So, that was our week! Tomorrow night we have a dessert for the church stewardship program. Other than that, I think we're pretty open. It's UF's spring break this week, so we really ought to go out to dinner one night while the waits are next-to-nonexistent! :) hehe

Before I close, let me tell you the reason for the title of this post....
This week, Sammy dug a HUGE hole in the backyard. We've had digging sprees off and on. We had been more on the "off" trend until recently. Even though I had JUST taken her for a walk, she dug a gigantic hole. She must have consumed crazy amounts of dirt in the process, because her digestion pretty much turned on its head. I got home and her crate was a mess. She NEVER "goes" in her crate--she avoids it at all costs. But I opened the door to the house , and the everything smelled really earthy. I thought to myself, "this does not smell like new furniture, like I thought it would." It turned out she had a big mess in her crate. Then she proceeded to have diarrhea the rest of the afternoon and evening. I lost count of how many messed I cleaned up in the kitchen. I have changed some noxious diapers, and I have cleaned up vomit from sick children, but I had to tell myself the whole time I was cleaning her crate, "I will not be sick, I will not be sick, I will not be sick." Thankfully, that worked. :) But the poor puppy went and went all night. I fed her some dinner, though not as much as usual, and that didn't help any. We woke up at 4 in the morning to her crying from the kitchen. Matt said he'd go check on her, because she's NEVER done that before. I fell back asleep and heard him come to bed awhile later, though I didn't know what time. I found out when it really was time to get up, that he'd been up with her over an hour, because she'd gone in her crate again, and then she had another accident in the kitchen while he cleaned the crate (and went 2 more times when he took her outside)! What a guy! He was so sweet to her and took great care of her. I do not mean to say that Sammy is as much work as a baby, but I sure felt like I was looking after a sick baby all that evening. And Matt definitely stepped up to the plate in performing dad-like duties by taking care of her in the middle of the night. The next day we gave her no breakfast, and when it had been about 24 hours since the on-set with about 8 hours of no more diarrhea, I gave her some rice to eat. She is now totally back to normal, and we are glad to have our sweet (though crazy) dog back!

One more caveat to the story... we got a free lawn inspection from Scott's Lawn Service, because we were curious about what they would say. Matt's done a LOT to the yard, but we know there's more work to do and wanted to know their suggestions. Guess what problem they marked we have?... MOLES! We cracked up. We do NOT have moles, we have a digging dog right now! So, there's the title of the post... Dig Dug (Sammy) has to Go Go (upset tummy)! It's funny the names that suit our pets after we get to know their personalities and likes more. After awhile, Ellie ooch-ooch was perfect for El, because she would "ooch" her way more and more into rooms she was originally "not allowed." And dear Sammy, the hound in her has given her quite the propensity for digging. :) We love her though!

We hope you have a great, restful weekend enjoying good times together and with the Lord!

Love,
Becca

0 comments: