Thursday, September 11, 2008

THE Question....

... until tonight, I had made it unscathed through every parent-teacher opportunity of the year. THE question had not been asked. The one I'm asked every year. Do you know THE question?

It comes in two forms, and it goes a little something like this:

(nonchalantly) So, how long have you been teaching?
(not subtle at all) Is this your FIRST year teaching?

Either way, the parent is getting at one real question and one only: How old ARE you?? i.e. Are you old enough to each my child?

I made it all the way to TODAY without that question. I was so excited thinking I had turned a corner. That I was no longer the totally baby-faced teacher. I thought too soon.

Tonight at open house someone lowered the boom and asked, "So, is this your first year teaching?"

My response, "No, actually it's my 4th year at this school."

silence

"Oh."


.... Oh well, there's always next year!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Too funny!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

b...you'll be 100 and you'll be asked that. but at 100 it'll be more appreciated. ;) hehehe